On 30.08.2014 04:44, Alex Gaynor wrote:
> Thanks for the rapid feedback everyone!
>
> I want to summarize the action items and discussion points that have come up
> so
> far:
>
> To add to the PEP:
>
> * Emit a warning in 3.4.next for cases that would raise a Exception in 3.5
> * Clearly state that the existing OpenSSL environment variables will be
>   respected for setting the trust root

I'd also suggest to compile Python with OPENSSL_LOAD_CONF, since that
causes OpenSSL to read the global openssl.cnf file for additional
configuration.

> Discussion points:
>
> * Disabling verification entirely externally to the program, through a CLI
> flag
>   or environment variable. I'm pretty down on this idea, the problem you hit
> is
>   that it's a pretty blunt instrument to swing, and it's almost impossible to
>   imagine it not hitting things it shouldn't; it's far too likely to be used
> in
>   applications that make two sets of outbound connections: 1) to some internal
>   service which you want to disable verification on, and 2) some external
>   service which needs strong validation. A global flag causes the latter to
>   fail silently when subjected to a MITM attack, and that's exactly what we're
>   trying to avoid. It also makes things much harder for library authors: I
>   write an API client for some API, and make TLS connections to it. I want
>   those to be verified by default. I can't even rely on the httplib defaults,
>   because someone might disable them from the outside.

The reasoning here is the same as for hash randomization. There
are cases where you want to test your application using self-signed
certificates which don't validate against the system CA root list.

In those cases, you do know what you're doing. The test would fail
otherwise and the reason is not a bug in your code, it's just
the fact that the environment you're running it in is a test
environment.

Ideally, all applications should give you this choice, but this is
unlikely to happen, so it's good to be able to change the Python
default, since with the proposed change, most applications will
probably continue to use the Python defaults as they do now.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 30 2014)
2014-08-27: Released eGenix PyRun 2.0.1 ...       http://egenix.com/go62
2014-09-19: PyCon UK 2014, Coventry, UK ...                20 days to go
2014-09-27: PyDDF Sprint 2014 ...                          28 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/