Not really, to be honest. I still don't understand why anyone not
directly involved in CPython development would need to build their own
Python executable on Windows. Can you explain a single specific
situation where installing and using the python.org executable is not
possible

I want, and in many places *need*, an all-MinGW stack. For a great deal
of software that is not Python, I can do this today. I can use build
services, package management, and dependency resolution tools that work
very well together with this all-MinGW software stack. These are problems
that Python has notoriously struggled with on Windows for a long time.
It's not "my views on free software," it's the reality of MSVC being a
near-useless compiler for scientific software. (And I don't see that
changing much.) Do my requirements conflict with many non-scientific
Python users on Windows? Probably. So you're welcome to ignore my
requirements and I'll do my own thing, but I don't think I'm alone.
There's likely no desire from the scientific Python community to branch
off and separate in quite the way I'm willing to do from non-scientific
Python, but it would solve some of their problems (while introducing many
others). I suspect a MinGW-w64-oriented equivalent to Conda would be
attractive to many. That's approximately what I'm aiming for.

There are some ways in which I can use the python.org MSVC executable and
installer. But it is nearly impossible for me to integrate it into the rest
of the tools and stack that I am using; it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Likewise MinGW-compiled CPython may stick out like a sore thumb relative
to the existing way things work with Python on Windows. I'm okay with that,
you probably aren't.

changes to extension building and you should contribute them
independently so that everyone can benefit

Noted.

I cannot see why you would need to build Python in order to build
extensions.

No, of course they are separate. CPython is one of my dependencies.
Compiled extensions are other dependencies. Software completely unrelated
to Python is yet another set of dependencies. It's not a very coherent
stack if I can't handle all of these dependencies in a uniform way.

On a tangential note, any work on supporting mingw builds and
cross-compilation should probably be done using setuptools, so that it
is external to the CPython code.

Noted.

Sincerely,
Tony