On 11/16/2014 11:23 PM, Buck Evan wrote:
This particular patch caused virtualenv issue #118 and a subsequent
workaround:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/trusty/python2.7/trusty/view/head:/debian/patches/distutils-install-layout.diff#L281
<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/trusty/python2.7/trusty-proposed/view/head:/debian/patches/distutils-install-layout.diff#L281>

Although this patch sits on the trusty branch of cpython patckaging, in
point of fact on that line i have `return
os.path.join(get_config_var('LIBPL'), "Makefile")`. I see that other
patches in the same project also touch this line, but none of them have
this LIBPL code that I find in my actual installation.

I'm not sure what issue you have here. Indeed, as Ned suggested, best thing would be to open a bug report in Launchpad [1].

Can any of you all help me understand what's going on here? I'm trying to
pinpoint exactly when/how the problematic code (.replace("/usr/local","/usr")
went away.

See the README.Debian. In the past people installed packages into the system path using "sudo python setup.py --install", and breaking applications shipped with Ubuntu. This avoids accidental installation of such packages. Unfortunately you can do this again with pip, because pip acting on the system python silently overwrites system installed python modules.

  Matthias

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python2.7/+filebug