Although I like the concept of type annotations and the PEP, I have to
agree with this. If I saw these type annotations when learning Python (I'm
self-taught), there's a 99% chance I would've freaked.

It's the same issue as with teaching C++: it's wrong to say, "Hey, I taught
you the basics, but there's other stuff that's going to confuse you to a
ridiculous extent when you read it." People can't ignore it. It'll become a
normal part of Python programs.

At least now you can say, "I'm using the mypy type checker."

Don't get me wrong; I like mypy. I helped with their documentation and am
watching the GitHub repo. But this is dead-on.

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 6:41 PM, Jack Diederich <jackd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Twelve years ago a wise man said to me "I suggest that you also propose a
> new name for the resulting language"
>
> I talked with many of you at PyCon about the costs of PEP 484. There are
> plenty of people who have done a fine job promoting the benefits.
>
> * It is not optional. Please stop saying that. The people promoting it
> would prefer that everyone use it. If it is approved it will be optional in
> the way that PEP8 is optional. If I'm reading your annotated code it is
> certainly /not/ optional that I understand the annotations.
>
> * Uploading stubs for other people's code is a terrible idea. Who do I
> contact when I update the interface to my library? The random Joe who
> "helped" by uploading annotations three months ago and then quit the
> internet? I don't even want to think about people maliciously adding stubs
> to PyPI.
>
> * The cognitive load is very high. The average function signature will
> double in length. This is not a small cost and telling me it is "optional"
> to pretend that every other word on the line doesn't exist is a farce.
>
> * Every company's style guide is about to get much longer. That in itself
> is an indicator that this is a MAJOR language change and not just some
> "optional" add-on.
>
> * People will screw it up. The same people who can't be trusted to program
> without type annotations are also going to be *writing* those type
> annotations.
>
> * Teaching python is about to get much less attractive. It will not be
> optional for teachers to say "just pretend all this stuff over here doesn't
> exist"
>
> * "No new syntax" is a lie. Or rather a red herring. There are lots of new
> things it will be required to know and just because the compiler doesn't
> have to change doesn't mean the language isn't undergoing a major change.
>
> If this wasn't in a PEP and it wasn't going to ship in the stdlib very few
> people would use it. If you told everyone they had to install a different
> python implementation they wouldn't. This is much worse than that - it is
> Python4 hidden away inside a PEP.
>
> There are many fine languages that have sophisticated type systems. And
> many bondage & discipline languages that make you type things three times
> to make really really sure you meant to type that. If you find those other
> languages appealing I invite you to go use them instead.
>
> -Jack
>
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-February/033291.html

Ryan
[ERROR]: Your autotools build scripts are 200 lines longer than your
program. Something’s wrong.
http://kirbyfan64.github.io/