On 20 Apr 2015 14:44, "Barry Warsaw" <ba...@python.org> wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2015, at 07:30 PM, Harry Percival wrote:
>
> >tldr; type hints in python source are scary. Would reserving them for
stub
> >files be better?
>
> I think so.  I think PEP 8 should require stub files for stdlib modules
and
> strongly encourage them for 3rd party code.

+1

Having stub files take precedence over inline annotations would also neatly
deal with the annotation compatibility problem (you can use a stub file to
annotate code using annotations for another purpose).

Another point in favour of that approach: stub files could be evaluated
holistically rather than statement at a time, permitting implicit forward