re: comprehension

Perhaps PEP can, at least, have a short list/summary of limitations?
I recall something was mentioned, but I can't find a section like that in PEP.

re: example

following https://github.com/JukkaL/mypy/blob/master/stubs/3.2/socket.py

# socket.pyi python2
class _socketobject:
    family = 0  # inferred from initializer (?)
    type = 0  # type: int  # explicit

# socket.pyi python3
class socket:
    family = AddressFamily.AF_UNSPEC  # inferred I presume?

    def settimeout(timeout: Union[int, float, None]) -> None: pass  #
negative arguments illegal
    timeout = -1.0  # yet, that's what you get by default (set None)

Perhaps, after all, socket module is a bad example.
I suppose you have a point that well-written modules are
self-documenting anyway...
Here's another try:

# _sqlite3.pyi python2 version
# warning, readonly: module allows reassignment, but you really shouldn't!
# instead use sqlite3.register_xxx functions
converters = {}  # type: Dict[str, Callable[[str], Any]]
adapters = {}  # type: Dict[Tuple[Type, SomethingInternal],
Callable[[Any], str]]