On Sat, 30 May 2015 20:52:21 +1000
Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Suppose someone came up with a magic patch that makes the CPython core
> run 25% faster. No downsides, just 25% faster across the board. I
> wouldn't pay money for it on the sole basis of expecting to make that
> back in reduced electricity bills, but I certainly wouldn't be sorry
> to watch the load averages drop. Why is this controversial?

That was not my point. What I'm opposing is the idea that
"environmental sustainability" (or what people's ideological conception
of it is) should become part of our criteria when making maintenance
decisions.

Obviously if a patch makes CPython faster without any downsides, there
is no need to argue about environmental sustainability to make the
patch desirable. The performance improvement itself is a sufficient
reason.

Regards

Antoine.