A better course of action would be to deprecate the non-portable version. Other than setting the PATH envvar, why do we need to continue even touching the system on install? It is highly annoying for those of us that maintain several installs of python on a single windows system, and it really should stop.

The only use I can think of for ever touching the registry in the first place is to tell distutils installers where python is. I can tell you right now, that design choice is a bug. There are some mighty hacks you have to go through to correct that behavior when you happen to be using a virtualenv.

(We are calling it 'embedable', but the rest of the world would call it 'portable', as in, runable from a usb stick)