On 2015-06-19 00:56, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On 2015-06-18 19:33, Larry Hastings wrote:
>On 06/18/2015 11:27 AM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>>Unicode 8.0 was just released.  Can we have unicodedata updated to
>>match in 3.5?
>>

>What does this entail?  Data changes, code changes, both?

It looks like just data changes.

At the very least, there is a change to the casefolding algorithm.
Cherokee was classified as unicameral but is now considered bicameral
(two cases, like English). Unusually, case-folding Cherokee maps to
uppercase rather than lowercase.

Doesn't the case-folding just depend on the data and the algorithm
remains the same?

The full set of changes is listed here:

http://unicode.org/versions/Unicode8.0.0/

Apart from the addition of 7716 characters and changes to
str.casefold(), I don't think any of the changes will make a big
difference to Python's implementation. But it would be good to support
Unicode 8 (to the degree that Python actually does support Unicode,
rather than just that character set part of it).

There are additional codepoints and a renamed property (which the
standard library doesn't support anyway).

Which one are you referring to, Indic_Matra_Category renamed to
Indic_Positional_Category?

Yes.