From: Python-Dev
[mailto:python-dev-bounces+alecsandru.patrascu=intel....@python.org] On Behalf
Of Stefan Behnel
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2015 8:25 PM
To: python-dev@python.org
Subject: Re: [Python-Dev] Profile Guided Optimization active by-default

Guido van Rossum schrieb am 22.08.2015 um 18:55:
> Regarding the training set, I agree that regrtest sounds to be better
> than pybench. If we make this an opt-in change, we can experiment with
> different training sets easily. (Also, I haven't seen the patch yet,
> but I presume it's easy to use a different training set?

It's just one command in one line, yes.

> Experimentation should be encouraged.)

A well chosen training set can have a notable impact on PGO compiled code in
general, and switching from pybench to regrtests should make such a difference.
However, since CPython's overall performance is mostly determined by the
interpreter loop, general object operations (getattr!) and the basic builtin
types, of which the regression test suite makes plenty of use, it is rather
unlikely that other training sets would provide substantially better
performance for Python code execution.

Note also that Ubuntu has shipped PGO builds based on the regrtests for years,
and they seemed to be quite happy with it.

Stefan