On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 5:59 PM, Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> wrote:

> I'm concerned about accepting PEP 493 making a strong recommendation to
> downstreams.  Yes, in an ideal world we all want security by default, but I
> think the backward compatibility concerns of the PEP are understated,
> especially as they relate to a maintenance release of a stable long term
> support version of the OS.  I don't want PEP 493 to be a cudgel that people
> beat us up with instead of having an honest discussion of the difficult
> trade-offs involved.

It sounds like the implementation sections of the PEP are acceptable
but that the PEP's general tone seems to assume that distributors are
champing at the bit to backport and that the recommendations here make
it so that backporting is a no-brainer -- which does not seem to
reflect the real-world?

I think the tone could be changed to address that as it doesn't seem
like forcing distros to backport is a real goal of the PEP.  The main
purposes of the PEP seem to be:

* Enumerate several ways that distributors can backport these 2.7.9
features to older releases
* Allow programmers to detect the presence of the features from their code
* Give end-users the ability to choose between backwards compatibility
and enhanced security

Here's some ideas for changing the tone:

  Abstract
  ========

  PEP 476 updated Python's default handling of HTTPS certificates to be
  appropriate for communication over the public internet. The Python 2.7 long
  term maintenance series was judged to be in scope for this change, with the
  new behaviour introduced in the Python 2.7.9 maintenance release.

+ Change to "PEP 476 updated Python's default handling of HTTPS
certificates to validate that the certs belonged to the server".  This
way we're saying what the change is rather than making a value
judgement of whether people who don't choose to backport are
"appropriate" or not.  Appropriate-ness is probably best left as an
argument in the text of PEP 476.

  This PEP provides recommendations to downstream redistributors wishing to
  provide a smoother migration experience when helping their users to manage
  this change in Python's default behaviour.

+ Change to "downstream redistributors wishing to backport the
enhancements in a way that allows users to choose between backwards
compatible behaviour or more secure certificate handling."  As barry
noted, this PEP doesn't change the amount of work needed to migrate.
It does, however, give users some choice in when they are going to
perform that work.  Additionally, this isn't simply about distributors
who want to make the transition smoother... (there's no downstreams
that want to make it "more painful" are there? ;-)  It's really about
making backporting of the enhancements less painful for users.

  Rationale
  =========

  PEP 476 changed Python's default behaviour to better match the needs and
  expectations of developers operating over the public internet, a category
  which appears to include most new Python developers. It is the position of
  the authors of this PEP that this was a correct decision.

  However, it is also the case that this change *does* cause problems for
  infrastructure administrators operating private intranets that rely on
  self-signed certificates, or otherwise encounter problems with the new default
  certificate verification settings.

+ per barry's mesage, it would be good to either devote a paragraph to
the backwards compatibility implications here or link to
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0476/#backwards-compatibility

  The long term answer for such environments is to update their internal
  certificate management to at least match the standards set by the public
  internet, but in the meantime, it is desirable to offer these administrators
  a way to continue receiving maintenance updates to the Python 2.7 series,
  without having to gate that on upgrades to their certificate management
  infrastructure.

+ The wording here seems to reflect a different scope than merely
backporting by distros.  Perhaps we should change it to: "[...]set by
the public internet.  Distributions may wish to help these sites
transition by backporting the PEP 476 changes to earlier versions of
python in a way that does not require the administrators to upgrade
their certificate management infrastructure immediately.  This would
allow sites to choose to use the distribution suppiied python in a
backwards compatible fashion until their certificate management
infrastructure was updated and then toggle their site to utilize the
more secure features provided by PEP 476."

[...]

  These designs are being proposed as a recommendation for
redistributors, rather
  than as new upstream features, as they are needed purely to support legacy
  environments migrating from older versions of Python 2.7. Neither approach
  is being proposed as an upstream Python 2.7 feature, nor as a feature in any
  version of Python 3 (whether published directly by the Python Software
  Foundation or by a redistributor).

+ This paragraph seems a little out of place here as it is not about
why this PEP is useful so much as who will implement it.  It also
seems to tie into Abstract closely as it reinforces and expands on
where this is going to make a difference.  Perhaps move it to Abstract
or create a "Scope" section that can follow abstract and contain this
information.  wording can be changed a bit to show that it isn't
expected that all redistributors are expected to follow this but only
those who are already backporting: "These recommendations are being
proposed to redistributors who wish to backport PEP 476 features
rather than as a new upstream feature as they are needed purely to
support migrating legacy environments from older versions of python
2.7"

-Toshio