francismb <franci...@email.de> writes:

> what's your opinion about a code-formatter bot for cpython.

What is the proposal? The opinions will surely depend on:

* What formatting is to be applied automatically?

  * If you propose to enforce rigid interpretations of the style-guide
    PEPs as automatic rules, that will incur the wrath of those who have
    made clear those PEPs are not to be used that way. There is a clear
    opinion (from at least the BDFL) that the style guide PEPs are
    guidelines to be applied with human judgement.

  * If on the other hand you propose to enforce only those rules which
    are strict enough to be applied automatically (e.g. “don't mix
    spaces and TABs”, “encode source using UTF-8 only”) then that's best
    done by editor plug-ins like EditorConfig[0].

* At which point in the workflow will the formatting be applied?

  * If you propose to change the code *after* the programmer sees it in
    their text editor, that is sure to be unpopular. The code committed
    to VCS should exactly match what the programmer sees when they
    choose to commit.

  * If you propose to reject the code at time of committing, there are
    VCS hooks that can do that; I don't know what different system you
    propose.

  * If you propose to present formatting violations as errors in the
    programmer's text editor so they can be corrected before using the
    VCS, then there are tools like EditorConfig[0] to do that.

[0]: EditorConfig <URL:http://editorconfig.org/>

--
 \         “Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?” “I think so, |
  `\         Brain, but isn't a cucumber that small called a gherkin?” |