On 30Jan2016 0645, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
$ ./python -m timeit -s "import codecs; from encodings.cp437 import
decoding_table" -- "codecs.charmap_build(decoding_table)"
100000 loops, best of 3: 4.36 usec per loop

Getting rid from charmap_build() would save you at most 4.4 microseconds
per encoding. 0.0005 seconds if you have imported *all* standard encodings!

Just as happy to be proven wrong. Perhaps I misinterpreted my original profiling and then, embarrassingly, ran with the result for a long time without retesting.

And how you expected to store encoding_table in more efficient way?

There's nothing inefficient about its storage, but as it does not change it would be trivial to store it statically. Then "building" the map is simply obtaining a pointer into an already loaded memory page. Much faster than building it on load, but both are clearly insignificant compared to other factors.

Cheers,
Steve