> On 02/11/2016 12:04 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>> It looks like the implementation https://bugs.python.org/issue26331
>> only changes the Python parser.
>>
>> What about other functions converting strings to numbers at runtime
>> like int(str) and float(str)? Paul also asked for Decimal(str).
>
> I added these as "Open Questions" to the PEP.

Ok nice. Now another question :-)

Would it be useful to add an option to repr(int) and repr(float), or a
formatter to int.__format__() and float.__float__() to add an
underscore for thousands. Currently, we have the "n" format which
depends on the current LC_NUMERIC locale:

>>> '{:n}'.format(1234)
'1234'
>>> import locale; locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')
'fr_FR.UTF-8'
>>> '{:n}'.format(1234)
'1 234'

My idea:

>>> (1234).__repr__(pep515=True)
'1_234'
>>> (1234.0).__repr__(pep515=True)
'1_234.0'

or maybe:

>>> '{:pep515}'.format(1234)
'1_234'
>>> '{:pep515}'.format(1234.0)
'1_234.0'

I don't think that it would be a good idea to modify repr() default
behaviour, it would likely break a lot of applications.

Victor