Ethan Furman <ethan <at> stoneleaf.us> writes:

> Do we allow bytes to be returned from os.fspath()?  If yes, then do we
> allow bytes from __fspath__()?

De-lurking. Especially since the ultimate goal is better interoperability, I
feel like an implementation that people can play with would help guide the
few remaining decisions. To help test the various options you could
temporarily add a _allow_bytes=GLOBAL_CONFIG_OPTION default argument to both
pathlib.__fspath__() and os.fspath(), with distinct configurable defaults for
each.

In the spirit of Python 3 I feel like bytes might not be needed in practice,
but something like this with defaults of False will allow people to easily
test all the various options.