On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2016, at 3:40 PM, Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:
>
> Yeah, but we've already established that there's a lot more upset,
> rhetoric and worry than warranted by the situation.
>

> Have we? There are real, documented security failures in the wild because
> of /dev/urandom’s behavior. This isn’t just a theoretical problem, it
> actually has had consequences in real life, and those same consequences
> could just have easily happened to Python (in one of the cases that most
> recently comes to mind it was a C program, but that’s not really relevant
> because the same problem would have happened if they had written in Python
> using os.urandom in 3.4 but not in 3.5.0 or 3.5.1.

Actually it's not clear to me at all that it could have happened to Python.
(Wasn't it an embedded system?)

> Actually the proposal for that was the secrets module. And the secrets
> module would be the only user of os.urandom(blocking=True).
>

> I’m fine if this lives in the secrets module— Steven asked for it to be an
> os function so that secrets.py could continue to be pure python.

The main thing that I want to avoid is that people start cargo-culting
whatever the secrets module uses rather than just using the secrets module.
Having it redundantly available as os.getrandom() is just begging for
people to show off how much they know about writing secure code.

>> * If you want to ensure you get cryptographically secure bytes,
>> os.getrandom, falling back to os.urandom on non Linux platforms and
>> erroring on Linux.
>>

> "Erroring" doesn't sound like it satisfies the "ensure" part of the
> requirement. And I don't see the advantage of os.getrandom() over the
> secrets module. (Either way you have to fall back on os.urandom() to
> suppport Python 3.5 and before.)
>

> Erroring does satisfy the ensure part, because if it’s not possible to get
> cryptographically secure bytes then the only option is to error if you want
> to be ensured of cryptographically secure bytes.
>

> It’s a bit like if you did open(“somefile.txt”), it’s reasonable to say
> that we should ensure that open(“somefile.txt”) actually opens
> ./somefile.txt, and doesn’t randomly open a different file if
> ./somefile.txt doesn’t exist— if it can’t open ./somefile.txt it should
> error. If I *need* cryptographically secure random bytes, and I’m on a
> platform that doesn’t provide those, then erroring is often times the
> correct behavior. This is such an important thing that OS X will flat out
> kernel panic and refuse to boot if it can’t ensure that it can give people
> cryptographically secure random bytes.

But what is a Python script going to do with that error? IIUC this kind of
error would only happen very early during boot time, and rarely, so the
most likely outcome is a hard-to-debug mystery failure.

> It’s a fairly simple decision tree, I go “hey, give me cryptographically
> secure random bytes, and only cryptographically secure random bytes”. If it
> cannot give them to me because the APIs of the system cannot guarantee they
> are cryptographically secure then there are only two options, either A) it
> is explicit about it’s inability to do this and raises an error or B) it
> does something completely different than what I asked it to do and pretends
> that it’s what I wanted.

I really don't believe that there is only one kind of cryptographically
secure random bytes. There are many different applications (use cases) of
randomness and they need different behaviors. (If it was simple we wouldn't
still be arguing. :-)

>> * If you want to *ensure* that there’s no blocking, then os.urandom on
>> Linux (or os.urandom wrapped with timeout code anywhere else, as that’s the
>> only way to ensure not blocking cross platform).
>>

> That's fine with me.
>

>> * If you just don’t care, YOLO it up with either os.urandom or
>> os.getrandom or random.random.
>>

> Now you're just taking the mickey.
>

> No I’m not— random.Random is such a use case where it wants to seed with
> as secure of bytes as it can get it’s hands on, but it doesn’t care if it
> falls back to insecure bytes if it’s not possible to get secure bytes. This
> code even falls back to using time as a seed if all else fails.

Fair enough. The hash randomization is the other case I suppose (since not
running any Python code at all isn't an option, and neither is waiting
indefinitely before the user's code gets control).

It does show the point that there are different use cases with different
needs. But I think the stdlib should limit the choices.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)