On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 6:00 PM, Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 02:20:26PM -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> I'm happy to present PEP 526 for your collective review:
>
> Are you hoping to get this in before 3.6 beta? Because I'm not sure I
> can give this much attention before then, but I really want to.

Yes I am hoping for that. Unlike PEP 484, this PEP is forward-looking
(more like PEP 492, async/await), and the sooner we can get it in the
sooner people who want to use it won't have to worry about supporting
older Python versions. (And am I ever looking forward to the day when
Python 3.5 counts as "older". :-)

While some of the details are better, this is substantially the same
proposal that we discussed at length in python-ideas, starting at
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2016-August/041294.html
(and you participated vigorously in that thread, so very little in the
PEP should be news to you).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)