On 31 August 2016 at 09:55, Gregory P. Smith <g...@krypto.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 1:08 PM M.-A. Lemburg <m...@egenix.com> wrote:
>> Yet, a move to require OpenSSL 1.0.2 for Python 3.7 will make
>> it impossible to run such apps on systems that still use OpenSSL
>> 1.0.1, e.g. Ubuntu 14.04 or CentOS 7.
>
> Not important. That isn't something we need to worry about. Compiling a new
> libssl is easy.  People using systems that are 4+ years old by the time 3.7
> comes out who expect new software to compile and just work are expecting too
> much.
>
> I find that users of such systems either use only what their distro itself
> supplies (ie: ancient versions at that point) or are fully comfortable
> building any dependencies their own software needs. If they are comfortable
> building a CPython runtime in the first place, they should be comfortable
> building required libraries. Nothing new there.

There's a 3rd variant, which is to raise support tickets with their
LTS vendors to request compatibility backports. I strongly encourage
that behaviour by end user organisations when wearing both my upstream
volunteer contributor hat, since it means they're not bothering
community volunteers with their institutional support requests, and my
downstream redistributor employee hat, since the more Python related
customer support requests Red Hat receives, the easier it gets for
folks internally (including me) to put together business cases arguing
for increased direct investment in the upstream Python ecosystem :)

Cheers,
Nick.