If you start to backport support for the fspath protocol, be prepared
to have to backport it *many* places. I expect that slowly in the near
future, many functions will be patched to support the fspath protocol.

I suggest to only do that in master. It's not that hard to cast
manually to a string: it's just str(path), no?

Victor