> On 9 Jun 2017, at 20:41, Steve Dower <steve.do...@python.org> wrote:
>
> These are totally fine for implementing a requests-like API that relies on
> system configuration for HTTPS connections. They are not sufficient for
> building a server, but they should be sufficient for downloading the packages
> you need to build a server.
>
> This is starting to feel to me like we're stuck on "building the thing right"
> and have skipped over "building the right thing". But maybe it's just me...

For the purposes of this PEP I think we should exclude this. The only way this
works on a decent number of platforms (hi there BSDs and Linuxes) is if the
option on those platforms is libcurl. Linux does not ship a high level HTTP
client library: libcurl is basically the option. That would require pip binding
libcurl, NSURLSession, and the Windows API. It’s not clear to me that the
solution to “we don’t want to backport some SSL code” is “write a bunch of
bindings to other third-party libraries”.

Cory