On 27 July 2017 at 23:48, jan matejek <jmate...@suse.cz> wrote:
> This is most often found in __init__.py. Often this affects optimized pycs,
> but we can see it in
> un-optimized as well.
> The issue is rare -- 99% of all pycs are stable -- but when it occurs, it's
> easy to replicate it in
> the same place. This also happens on different machines, so that seems to
> rule out hardware memory
> errors :)

The marshal implementation received some significant optimisations in
3.5 [1] and a new marshal format in 3.4 [2], so if you're able to
check the behaviour in 3.4 and 3.5 that would be helpful: if the
problem occurs in 3.5, but *not* in 3.4, the hashtable based
optimisations would be the place to start looking, while if 3.4
misbehaves as well, then there may be some general inconsistency to
resolve in how the module decides which instances to mark with
`FLAG_REF`.

The fact that disorderfs makes a difference does make me a little
suspicious, as there's an early exit from the FLAG_REF setting code
related to objects having exactly one live reference. Courtesy of
string interning and other immutable object caches, order of code
compilation can affect how many live references there are to strings
and other constants, and hence there may be cases where marshal
*won't* flag an immutable object if *only* that particular code object
has been compiled, but *will* flag it if some other code object has
been created first. That check has been there since version 3 of the
marshal format was defined, so if it *is* the culprit, then you'll see
this misbehaviour with 3.4 as well.

Cheers,
Nick.

[1] https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/3.5.html#optimizations