On 9 August 2017 at 03:59, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 August 2017 at 17:21, Steve Dower <steve.do...@python.org> wrote:
>> For a while I've been uploading the official releases to nuget.org. These
>> packages can be installed with nuget.exe (latest version always available at
>> https://aka.ms/nugetclidl), which is quickly becoming a standard tool in
>> Microsoft's build toolsets. It's very much a CI-focused package manager,
>> rather than a user-focused one, and CI on Windows was previously an area
>> where it was difficult to use Python.
>>
>> See the official feed at https://www.nuget.org/packages/python, and related
>> packages pythonx86, python2 and python2x86.
>>
>> For people looking for an official "no installer" version of Python for
>> Windows, this is it.
>
> I've been aware of these builds for a while, but wasn't 100% sure of
> the status of them. It would be really useful if they could be
> publicised more widely - if for no other reason than to steer people
> towards these rather than the embedded distribution when these are
> more appropriate.

The trade-offs between the various options for managing Python
runtimes on Windows would likely make sense as a packaging.python.org
discussion: https://packaging.python.org/discussions/

The woefully incomplete discussion on application deployment
(https://packaging.python.org/discussions/deploying-python-applications/)
could then be updated to reference that rather than having to cover it
inline.

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. Thanks to https://github.com/pypa/python-packaging-user-guide/issues/317,
we have 3 clearly distinct categories of docs in PyPUG these days:
tutorials, where we deliberately only present one option to avoid
overwhelming readers with too much information, guides, where we're
still opinionated, but acknowledge alternatives, and discussions,
where the overall tone is "the right option depends on your goals"