I believe that the current status is:

- assigning None isn't treated specially – it does mask any underlying
values (which I think is what we want)

- there is currently no way to "unmask"

- but it's generally agreed that there should be a way to do that, at least
in some cases, to handle the save/restore issue I raised. It's just that
Yury & Elvis wanted to deal with restructuring the PEP first before doing
more work on the api details.

-n