On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 10:39 PM, Dima Tisnek <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My 2c:
> TL;DR PEP specifies implementation in some detail, but doesn't show
> how proposed change can or should be used.
>

> get()/set(value)/delete() methods: Python provides syntax sugar for
> these, let's use it.
> (dict: d["k"]/d["k] = value/del d["k"]; attrs: obj.k/obj.k = value/del
> obj.k; inheriting threading.Local)

This was already discussed to death in the PEP 550 threads... what
most users want is a single value, and routing get/set through a
ContextVar object allows for important optimizations and a simpler
implementation. Also, remember that 99% of users will never use these
objects directly; it's a low-level API mostly useful to framework
implementers.

> This PEP and 550 describe why TLS is inadequate, but don't seem to
> specify how proposed context behaves in async world. I'd be most
> interested in how it appears to work to the user of the new library.
>
> Consider a case of asynchronous cache:
>
> async def actual_lookup(name):
>
> def cached_lookup(name, cache={}):
>     if name not in cache:
>         cache["name"] = shield(ensure_future(actual_lookup(name))
>     return cache["name"]
>
> Unrelated (or related) asynchronous processes end up waiting on the same
> future:
>
> async def called_with_user_context():
>     await cached_lookup(...)
>
> Which context is propagated to actual_lookup()?
> The PEP doesn't seem to state that clearly.
> It appears to be first caller's context.

Yes.

> Is it a copy or a reference?

It's a copy, as returned by get_context().

> If first caller is cancelled, the context remains alive.
>

> token is fragile, I believe PEP should propose a working context
> manager instead.
> Btw., isn't a token really a reference to
> state-of-context-before-it's-cloned-and-modified?

No, a Token only represents the value of one ContextVar, not the whole
Context. This could maybe be clearer in the PEP, but it has to be this
way or you'd get weird behavior from code like:

with decimal.localcontext(...):  # sets and then restores
    numpy.seterr(...) # sets without any plan to restore
# after the 'with' block, the decimal ContextVar gets restored
# but this shouldn't affect the numpy.seterr ContextVar

-n