Ok, then I'm happy to improve the escaping!

I was confused because I could not understand that nobody than me should
have run into this problem before.

There are many special cases. I'll try my very best :)

Cheers -- Chris

On 07.01.18 21:59, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 12:30 PM, Gregory P. Smith <g...@krypto.org
> <mailto:g...@krypto.org>> wrote:
>
>     the best way to improve shell escaping on windows is to send a PR
>     against the list2cmdline code that escapes everything you believe it
>     should when running on windows. With hyperlinks to the relevant msdn
>     info about what might need escaping.
>

> Agreed. FWIW the call to list2cmdline seems to compound the problem,
> since it just takes args and puts double quotes around it, mostly
> undoing the work of list2cmdline. For example if I use (args=['a', 'b
> c'], shell=True) I think list2cmdline turns that to args='a "b c"', and
> then the format() expression constructs the command:
>
>     cmd.exe /c "a "b c""
>
> I really have no idea what that means on Windows (and no quick access to
> a Windows box to try it) but on Windows that would create *two*
> arguments, the first one being 'a b' and the second one 'c'.
>
> At this point I can understand that Christian recommends against
> shell=True -- it's totally messed up! But the fix should really be to
> fix this, not inventing a new feature.
>
> --
> --Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido <http://python.org/~guido>)

Christian Tismer             :^)   tis...@stackless.com
Software Consulting          :     http://www.stackless.com/
Karl-Liebknecht-Str. 121     :     https://github.com/PySide
14482 Potsdam                :     GPG key -> 0xFB7BEE0E
phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023