On 3 September 2016 at 14:32, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>>

>>> Whatever we do, I'd like it to be coordinated across multiple
>>> distrubutions, and blesed by a PEP like [PEP 394]. We don't want a solution
>>> specific to Fedora.
>
> We do need to figure out the scope of what would be acceptable within
> the context of Fedora though - otherwise we could reach consensus
> upstream on Python's linux-sig, and then find we couldn't get the
> proposal through FESCo downstream.
>
>> I think the best way to serve the end-user is to manage /usr.bin/python with
>> alternatives, with slave entries for idle, pydoc, python-config, and the
>> python man page. This is compliant with the suggestions of the PEP and gives
>> control to the user. The symlinks should point to the major version
>> links/files as minor versions may introduce too many issues to address at
>> the moment.
>
> Summarising my longer reply to your other email about this, I think
> alternatives is a good fallback position that should be acceptable
> cross-distro if we can't come up with (and agree on) anything better.
>
> Unfortunately, alternatives doesn't actually meet the user needs we've
> had described upstream, which requests the ability to do *per-user*
> selective upgrades, allowing admins to initially restrict deployment
> of "Python 3 as default" to users that they're pretty sure can cope
> with the possible resulting incompatibilities without too much
> handholding, and then progressively roll it out to more users over
> time as the compatibility issues get ironed out for their particular
> environment.
>
> There's also clear migration value in allowing administrators to say
> "These particular service accounts still need to live in a Python 2
> only world, blissfully unaware that Python 3 is even a thing", and
> then whittle those away over time, rather than needing to migrate all
> their custom admin scripts before even one user gets upgraded to
> Python 3 as their default Python.
>
> Putting it like that though, perhaps an upstream proposal for
> multi-tier configurability support would make sense?
>
> * Tier 0: "the default Python" is determined at the distribution
> level. For the majority of current distributions, that means Python 2,
> but on a select few it means Python 3.
>
> * Tier 1: "the default Python" is configurable on a per-system level.
> Distros pursuing this option (e.g. by moving /usr/bin/python under
> 'alternatives') are still advised to keep the out-of-the-box default
> as Python 2. This will be sufficient for at least some environments to
> start managed migrations from Python-2-as-default to
> Python-3-as-default, and further establishes the precedent that
> "/usr/bin/python will always be Python 2" is an incorrect assumption.
>
> * Tier 2: "the default Python" is configurable on a per-user level.
> Sufficiently determined sysadmins can actually configure this today,
> so it would mainly be a matter of looking at what's involved in doing
> that, and making it simpler for people to set up.

So the general way that 'configurable on per-user level' would be to
put to put links in a directory that over-rode the system path files..
eg

~/.userdefined_bin/:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:~/bin

This has generally been considered a security problem in that anything
dropped in ~/.userdefined_bin can override defaults without the user
knowing it. [The old ~/.userdefined_bin/mv -> /usr/bin/rm or a script
which is called ls and then rms the files after showing them.] However
I think we are in a world of such security nightmares just from the
browser being used that this is just par for the course.

> * Tier 3 (highly experimental): "the default Python" is configurable
> on a per-script level, using something like pythonmux.
>
> If we pitched something like that, then rather than distros having to
> agree on which level of configurability was appropriate, we'd just
> have to agree on "if we implement that tier, we're happy to abide by
> those guidelines", and then it would be up to individual distros to
> decide which level of configurability they wanted to offer (and they
> may make different choices when it came to interactive use vs
> non-interactive use).
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.
>
> --