On 3 October 2016 at 23:36, Tomas Orsava <tors...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 09/27/2016 08:43 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>>>
>>> P.P.S. I realize rh-python34 is available on RHSCL, but it didn't seem to
>>> support "python3" in scripts...
>>
>> Script shebang lines can be supported via SCLs, but they need to run a
>> wrapper script that implicitly enables the SCL, rather than just being
>> a symlink to the SCL's Python executable. I don't recall the exact
>> incantation myself, but hopefully someone else will be able to chime
>> in with that.
>
> Right now you need to create and use a wrapper script that contains:
>
>     #!/bin/bash
>     /usr/bin/scl enable rh-python34 -- python3 "$@"
>
> However, when this BZ [0] gets into RHEL 7.4 (there's also talk of 7.3
> Z-stream), you'll be able to enable the collection right in the shebang like
> so:
>
>     #!/usr/bin/scl enable rh-python34 -- python3

Nice. Would that come with a corresponding update to the pip and
setuptools versions in RHSCL such that their wrapper script generators
did the right thing?

I bring that up, as one of the other challenges with the way SCLs
currently work is that the upstream convention of copying
"sys.executable" into the shebang to generate a script that runs in
the current Python doesn't work as expected.

Cheers,
Nick.