On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 13:15 +0200, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Aug 2018 10:57:31 +0200, Petr Viktorin wrote:
> > On 08/05/18 14:01, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> > > That is all together messy. This is why Microsoft has their debug
> > > build of
> > > their whole OS - Windows - called Checked Build:
> > >   https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devte
> > > st/checked-and-free-build-differences
> >
> > The main issue with --with-pydebug is that it changes the ABI, i.e.
> > all
> > extensions need to be re-built specifically for it (and debug
> > extensions
> > outside the standard library aren't usually packaged in Fedora).
> > That makes
> > it much less useful than if it just used less optimizations.

Petr: IMHO, it's much *more* useful: it checks for leaked objects,
which is the most painful issue to deal with when debugging Python
extensions.  That was my motivation for adding it.

> That confirms the whole OS "Checked Build" variant would solve even
> this
> problem.

Jan:  In my view, it's not a problem, it's a feature.  An OS-wide
change wouldn't turn on "--with-pydebug" for Python, unless it was
directly coded into the specfile.

The change to the ABI is due to two new fields with the base struct for
python objects.

Dave