Hello Pythonistas,
since Fedora 27, we have been patching Python to install packages to /usr/local/lib(64)/python3.X/site-packages if not in rpmbuild:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Making_sudo_pip_safe

The patch was a pragmatic hack in the distutils module that proved to be working quite reliably over the years. Unfortunately, the distutils module is deprecated and is going to be removed from Python 3.12:

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0632/

Working with the upstreams of setuptools, pip, and Python, as well as other Linux distros Python maintainers (Arch, Debian), we have now changed the way the patch works to patch the sysconfig module instead, changing the posix_prefix install scheme to use /usr/local paths.

See https://discuss.python.org/t/pep-632-deprecate-distutils-module/5134/104 for details.

This change is aligned with the upstream plan for Python 3.11 to offer distributors a way to supply their installation schemes to sysconfig:

https://bugs.python.org/issue43976

Nothing should change for Fedora packages. If you encounter problems, do let us know and we'll try to help solve them.

Software that reads the posix_prefix install_scheme on runtime to figure out where to install stuff should behave the right way by default. OTOH software that reads it to figure out where to load stuff from might need changes, see e.g. the change we did in dnf: https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf/pull/1782

Relevant commit: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python3.10/c/47935cfb9870

Bodhi update: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2021-31c7a2fca8

We might later introduce this to older Python versions as well, but we are not planning to backport this to older Fedora releases.

--
Miro Hrončok