At least python-language-server really is dead upstream[1], replaced by
python-lsp-server, which is a maintained community fork.

The python-pyls_black package isn’t usable without python-language-server, and
nobody has stepped up to migrate it to python-lsp-server in over a year[2], so
it’s looking pretty dead upstream, too.

I agree with the general advice to orphan rather than retiring in most cases,
but I think retirement is probably appropriate under the circumstances for
these two packages.

[1] https://github.com/palantir/python-language-server/issues/935
[2] https://github.com/rupert/pyls-black/issues/35