I actually wrote the book _ Functional Programming in Python_, yet I
haven't the foggiest idea how to parse that code. A decorator parameterized
buy two instances of the decorator function itself?!

I know I could read the implementation and figure out why that works. But I
don't want to encourage that code in real use.