On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Michel Desmoulin <desmoulinmic...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am serious. It depends on the use case. If the data are an

But that's the all problem isn't it?

Since the start of the discussion, contesters have been offering
numerous solutions, all being contextual and with gotchas, none being
obvious, simple or elegant.

in the context above, I was offering that there were obvious, simple and
elegant solutions, but that which one was dependent on the use case.

EVERY choice in programming is dependent on the use case.

What I haven't seen yet is a compelling use case for a sequence .get() that
does not have an existing simple and elegant solution.

which doesn't mean they don't exist.

(and for the my part, the machinations with or shortcutting are not, in my
book, simple or elegant...)

Plus Sven already estimated the implementation would not be very hard.

The proposal is actionable, the cost of it seems low,

This would not simply be adding one method to a class. It would be adding a
method to the Sequence protocol ( ABC, whatever you want call it).

So a much heavier lift and larger impact than you imply.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov