On 3/6/2017 1:56 AM, Elliot Gorokhovsky wrote:

P.S. Is it OK if I close my current issue on the bug tracker and open a
new issue, where I'll post the revised patch? The writing on my current
issue uses the old, less-rigorous benchmarks, and I feel it would be
less confusing if I just made a new issue and posted the correct
benchmarks/discussion at the top. The current issue doesn't have many
comments, so not much would be lost by just linking to it from the new
issue. If this violates bug tracker etiquette, however, :) I'll just
post the revised patch on my current issue.

That would be normal. Issues often get revised patches, sometimes with more severe changes than this. Or people post competing patches. Do reverence this thread, and quote Tim's approval in principle, if he did not post on the tracker.

--
Terry Jan Reedy