On 1 July 2017 at 18:35, Nick Timkovich <prometheus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Devil's advocate: why prepare a patch and submit it if it is going to be
> dismissed out of hand. Trying to gauge support for the idea is a reasonable
> first-step.

That's perfectly OK, but it's important to phrase the email in a way
that makes that clear - "I'm considering putting together a PR for
Python to implement X. Does that sound like a good idea, or does
anyone have suggestions for potential issues I might consider? Also,
is there any prior work in this area that I should look into?"

"Python should have X" implies (a) that you are criticising the python
developers for missing that feature out, (b) that you consider your
position self-evident, and (c) that you expect someone to implement
it.

People have different ways of expressing themselves, so we should all
be prepared to allow some leeway in how people put their ideas across.
But the writer has some responsibility for the tone, too.

Paul