[redirecting back to list]

On 07/24/2017 04:19 AM, Michel Desmoulin wrote:
Le 24/07/2017 à 13:02, Ethan Furman a écrit :
On 07/23/2017 10:47 AM, Michel Desmoulin wrote:

I'm not sure why everybody have such a grip on the type.

If I understand the goal of "a new namedtuple" correctly, it is not to
come up with yet another namedtuple type -- it is to make the existing
collections.namedtuple a faster experience, and possibly add another way
to create such a thing.

This means that the "replacement" namedtuple MUST be backwards
compatible with the existing collections.namedtuple, and keeping track
of type is one of the things it does:

Is it ? Maybe we should check that, cause we may be arguing around a "nice to
have" for nothing.

Um, yes, it is.  Did you not read the section you snipped? [1]

How many people among those intereted by the proposal have a strong need for
the type ?

Whether there is a strong need for it is largely irrelevant; it's there now, it needs to stay. If we were to remove it there would need to be a strong need for what we gain and that it outweighs the broken backward compatibility commitment that we try very hard to maintain.

--
~Ethan~

[1] My apologies for the first paragraph if this is a language translation issue and you were talking about the backwards compatibility and not the type tracking.