Hello,

I would like to suggest that nonlocal should be given the same creating power as global.
If I do
global a_var
it creates the global a_var if it doesn't exist.

I think it would be great that nonlocal maintained that power.

This way when I do
nonlocal a_var
it would create a_var in the imediate parent environment, if it didn't exist.

Without nonlocal creation powers I have to create global variables or local variables after master=Tk() (in the following example):

from tkinter import StringVar, Tk
from tkinter.ttk import Label

def start_gui():
    def change_label():
        _label_sv.set('Bye Bye')

    def create_vars():
        global _label_sv

        _label_sv = StringVar(value='Hello World')

    def create_layout():
        Label(master, textvariable=_label_sv).grid()

    def create_bindings():
        master.bind('<Escape>', lambda _: master.destroy())
        master.bind('<Return>', lambda _: change_label())

    master = Tk()

    create_vars()
    create_layout()
    create_bindings()

    master.mainloop()

if __name__ == '__main__':
    start_gui()

With nonlocal creation powers it would become a start_gui local variable (no global) but I could have a function to create the vars instead of having to add them after master=Tk():

from tkinter import StringVar, Tk
from tkinter.ttk import Label

def start_gui():
    def change_label():
        label_sv.set('Bye Bye')

    def create_vars():
        nonlocal label_sv

        label_sv = StringVar(value='Hello World')

    def create_layout():
        Label(master, textvariable=label_sv).grid()

    def create_bindings():
        master.bind('<Escape>', lambda _: master.destroy())
        master.bind('<Return>', lambda _: change_label())

    master = Tk()

    create_vars()
    create_layout()
    create_bindings()

    master.mainloop()

if __name__ == '__main__':
    start_gui()

I know that I could also do it with OOP, but this way is more concise (OOP would add more lines and increase the lines length, which I personally dislike)

This example is very simple, but if you imagine a GUI with several widgets, then the separation between vars, layout and bindings becomes useful for code organization.

Best regards,

João Matos