> I don't see anything particularly bogging here.
> It's always like this when you have multiple versions of the same
> software on the system. There's only one PATH, after all.
>
> Heck, *the mere fact that Python allows to work like this is already a
> huge leap forward.* **Doing this cross-platform with exactly the same
> steps is something few could believe was even possible a couple of years
> ago!**

I agree.

> To simplify things with Python, i do the following:
> * use the system's Python whenever possible

So python 2.7 on mac and some linux or none for windows...

> * if using something else, only install the one version/environment that
> I'm using day-to-day and add it to PATH (system's if safe & convenient,
> personal otherwise)
> * prefer the system's/environment's package manager to pip to install
> 3rd-party modules, too, if there is one.

We can't solve the situation perfectly, but we can unify a bit. E.G:

- provide the "py" command on all OSes to avoid the various naming and
aliases of python
- promote it in documentation
- promote the use of py -x.x -m pip instead of the myriads of alternatives
- provide an empty pip and venv module. If they are not here, py -m pip
says "your plateform doesn't provide pip by default, please do xxxxx" to
install it. With "xxxx" being plateform specific.
- check "add python executable to system path" on the windows installer
once by defaut