That's one way to do it with no changes to the language, though
syntaxically I find it lacking a bit of elegance (maybe a matter of getting
accustomed with it?).

Also, I'm not sure "Final" really conveys what it means (at first glance, I
thought it was about immutability, not constantness).

Maybe "Const" would be better in this context ? (Or maybe you've discussed
this question already and come to the conclusion that "Final" is better for
some reason?)

  S.

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Ivan Levkivskyi <levkivs...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 21 November 2017 at 10:47, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> -1. I don't see how this would improve any programs I've written or
>> seen. Tools like mypy or linters might benefit from a feature to track
>> constants and ensure they don't get changed
>>

> It is actually likely that something like this will appear in ``typing``:
>
>     from typing import Final, List
>
>     x: Final = 42
>     x = 1  # Fails type check
>
>     lst: Final[List[int]] = []
>     lst.append(5)  # OK
>     lst = [1, 2, 3]  # Fails type check
>
> --
> Ivan

Stefane Fermigier - http://fermigier.com/ - http://twitter.com/sfermigier -
http://linkedin.com/in/sfermigier
Founder & CEO, Abilian - Enterprise Social Software -
http://www.abilian.com/
Chairman, Free&OSS Group / Systematic Cluster -
http://www.gt-logiciel-libre.org/
Co-Chairman, National Council for Free & Open Source Software (CNLL) -
http://cnll.fr/
Founder & Organiser, PyData Paris - http://pydata.fr/
---
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change
something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” — R.
Buckminster Fuller