I thought the purpose of heapq was to have a ready-made example
for instructors on how an API can be improved by applying object-oriented
techniques. ;-)

I think adding a HeapQueue class would be a great idea. Obviously the
existing functions
would need to continue existing for backward compatibility.

Stephan