On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 7:51 PM, Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:
> Can someone explain to me why this is such a controversial issue?

I guess practicality versus purity is always controversial :-)

> It seems reasonable to me to add new encodings to the stdlib that do the
> roundtripping requested in the first message of the thread. As long as they
> have new names that seems to fall under "practicality beats purity".
> (Modifying existing encodings seems wrong -- did the feature request somehow
> transmogrify into that?)

Someone did discover that Microsoft's current implementations of the
windows-* encodings matches the WHAT-WG spec, rather than the Unicode
spec that Microsoft originally wrote. So there is some argument that
the Python's existing encodings are simply out of date, and changing
them would be a bugfix. (And standards aside, it is surely going to be
somewhat error-prone if Python's windows-1252 doesn't match everyone
else's implementations of windows-1252.) But yeah, AFAICT the original
requesters would be happy either way; they just want it available
under some name.

-n