@Bar: I don't know about exposing _chain_future(). Certainly it's overkill
for what the OP wants -- their PR only cares about chaining
concurrent.future.Future.

@Daniel: I present the following simpler solution -- it requires you to
explicitly pass the executor, but since 'fn' is being submitted to an
executor, EIBTI.

def then(executor, future, fn):
    newf = concurrent.futures.Future()
    def callback(fut):
        f = executor.submit(fn, fut)
        try:
            newf.set_result(f.result())
        except CancelledError:
            newf.cancel()
        except Exception as err:
            newf.set_exception(err)
    return executor.submit(callback)

I can't quite follow your reasoning about worker threads (and did you
realize that because of the GIL, Python doesn't actually use multiple
cores?). But I suppose it doesn't matter whether I understand that -- your
point is that you want the 'fn' function submitted to the executor, not run
as a "done callback". And that's reasonable. But modifying so much code
just so the Future can know which to executor it belongs so you can make
then() a method seems overkill.

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)