Basically what you're after is a way to extend the default finder with a
new file type. Historically you didn't want this because of the performance
hit of the extra stat call to check that new file extension (this has been
greatly alleviated in Python 3 through the caching of directory contents).
But I would still argue that you don't necessarily want this for e.g. the
stdlib or any other random project which might just happen to have a file
with the same file extension as the one you want to have special support
for.

I also don't think we want a class attribute to contains the default
loaders since not everyone will want those default semantics in all cases
either. Since we're diving into deep levels of customization I would askew
anything that makes assumptions for what you want.

I think the best we could consider is making
importlib.machinery._get_supported_loaders() a public API. That way you can
easily construct a finder with the default loaders plus your custom ones.
After that you can then provide a custom sys.path_hooks entry that
recognizes the directories which contain your custom file type.

If that seems reasonable then feel free to open an enhancement request at
bugs.python.org to discuss the API and then we can discuss how to implement
a PR for it.