I have been struggling to justify the need based on what I have read.  I
hope this isn't a dupe, I only saw caching mentioned in passing.

Also please excuse some of the naive generalizations below for illustrative
purposes.

Is there a reason memoization doesn't work? If f is truly expensive, using
this syntax only makes sense if you have few comprehensions (as opposed to
many iterations) and few other calls to f. Calling f in 10 comprehensions
would (naively) benefit from memoization more than this.  It appears to me
to be ad-hoc memoization with limited scope.  is this a fair statement?

>From readability, the examples put forth have been to explain the
advantage, with which I agree.  However, i do not believe this scales well.

[(foo(x,y) as g)*(bar(y) as i) + g*foo(x,a) +baz(g,i) for x... for y...]

That's 3 functions, 2 iterators, 3 calls saved ('a' is some constant just
to trigger a new call on foo).  I'm not trying to show ugly statements can
be constructed, but show how quickly in _n iterators and _m functions
readability declines.

it's seems the utility is bounded by f being not complex/costly enough for
memoization, and ( _m, _n) being small enough to pass code review. The
syntax does not create a readability issue, but by adding symbols,
exacerbates an inherent issue with 'complex' comprehensions.

If I have understood, does this bounding on f, _m, and _n yield a tool with
sufficient applicability for a language change?   I know it's already
spoken about as an edge case, I'm just not clear on the bounds of that.  I
am not against it, I just haven't seen this addressed.

Thank you for putting the PEP together.  Again, I don't want to sound
negative on it, I may have misunderstood wildly.  I like the idea
conceptually, and I don't think it's anymore confusing to me than
comprehensions were when I first encountered them, and it will yield a
'cool!' statement much like they did when I learned them.