On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 16:35:47 +0100
Tom Tervoort <tomtervo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think there a quite some situations where unnecessarily long codes can
> cause usability problems: when using a system
> where users have to manually type in a random code (I frequently have to do
> that when using the password manager on my
> phone, for example) it's nice if you can save half of the time they have to
> spend on that. Shorter codes can also be
> converted to smaller QR codes, and to nicer URLs.

If you want shorter codes for specific scenarios then it's your
responsibility (as an application developer) to adapt the token width
*and* ensure that the chosen code length is still non-vulnerable.

I think defaulting to 32 bytes for the Python standard library is good
as:
1) it's more future-proof, even in the face of algorithm weaknesses
which may make available better-than-brute-force methods in the future
2) it teaches developers the value of having sufficient entropy in
tokens

Also I disagree with the claim that 16 bytes is somehow better for
usability. It's still a terribly long random string to type by hand
and I hope nobody is inflicting that on their users.

(I'm not sure what "smaller QR code" means. Given a QR code is
basically a computer analysis-friendly glyph that you show your phone
or other device to perform pattern recognition on, why does it matter
whether the QR code is "small" or not?)

> A user should be able to rely on the library
> picking a good secure default.

And that's exactly what the library does, apparently!

Regards

Antoine.