(1) I am concerned with the proposal's ability to introduce variables with
a new broader kind of multi-line scope not seen anywhere else in Python. It
is difficult to reason about, particularly in constructs like lambdas and
inline def functions.

Limiting scope to the very same line is great:

> stuff = [[(f(x) as y), x/y] for x in range(5)]

However I advocate that named expressions should ONLY be usable in the
header of statements that enclose other statements. Thus I would expect the
following to be an error:

> if (re.match(...) as m):
>     print(m.groups(0))  # NameError: name 'm' is not defined

> while (sock.read() as data):
>     print("Received data:", data)  # NameError: name 'data' is not defined

Using the named expression in other parts of the statement header is still
fine:

> if (re.match(...) as m) is not None and m.groups(1) == 'begin':

In summary, -1 from me for introducing a new kind of sublocal scope. +0
from me for keeping the scope limited to the header of the statement.
Predictable conservative semantics.

(2) If there WAS a desire to allow a named expression inside the
substatements of a compound statement, I would advocate that the named
expression just be treated as a regular (usually-)local variable
assignment, with scope that extends to the entire function. This would
imply that the variable would appear in locals().

Under this interpretation, the following would be okay:

> while (sock.read() as data):
>     print("Received data:", data)
> print("Last received data:", data)  # ok; data is a regular local

I would be -0 for using a regular local scope for a named expression.
Predictable semantics but leaks the expression to the wider scope of the
function.

(3a) With a header-limited scope (in proposal #1 above), I advocate that a
named expression should NOT be able to shadow other variables, giving a
SyntaxError. I can't think of a reasonable reason why such shadowing should
be allowed, and preventing shadowing may eliminate unintentional errors.

(3b) With a local scope (in proposal #2 above), a named expression simply
replaces any preexisting local with the same name. (Or it would replace the
global/nonlocal if a global/nonlocal statement was in use.) There is no
shadowing per-se.

Cheers,
--
David Foster | Seattle, WA, USA