On 2018-03-23 00:36, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
It does make sense, since the proposal sounds ambitious (and perhaps
impossible without breaking compatibility).

Well, *some* breakage of backwards compatibility will be unavoidable.

My plan (just a plan for now!) is to preserve backwards compatibility in the following ways:

* Existing Python attributes of functions/methods should continue to exist and behave the same

* The inspect module should give the same results as now (by changing the implementation of some of the functions in inspect to match the new classes)

* Everything from the documented Python/C API.

This means that I might break compatibility in the following ways:

* Changing the classes of functions/methods (this is the whole point of this PEP). So anything involving isinstance() checks might break.

* The undocumented parts of the Python/C API, in particular the C structure.