Nick, sorry, but your arguments still make little sense to me.  I
think you're pushing an analogy between `sum()` details and
`accumulate()` waaaaay too far,  changing a simple idea into a
needlessly complicated one.

`accumulate()` can do anything at all it wants to do with a `start`
argument (if it grows one), and a "default" of start=0 makes no sense:
 unlike `sum()`, `accumulate()` is not

    specifically for use with numeric values and may
    reject non-numeric types [from the `sum()` docs]

`accumulate()` accepts any two-argument function.

>>> itertools.accumulate([1, 2, 3], lambda x, y: str(x) + str(y))
<itertools.accumulate object at 0x0000028AB1B3B448>
>>> list(_)
[1, '12', '123']

Arguing that it "has to do" something exactly the way `sum()` happens
to be implemented just doesn't follow - not even if they happen to
give the same name to an optional argument.  If the function were
named `accumulate_sum()`, and restricted to numeric types, maybe - but
it's not.

[Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com>]
> That concern mostly goes away if the new parameter is deliberately
> called something *other than* "start" (e.g. "prepend=value", or
> "first=value"), but it could also be addressed by offering a dedicated
> "yield_start" toggle, such that the revised semantics were:
>
>         def accumulate(iterable, func=operator.add, start=0,
> yield_start=False):
>             it = iter(iterable)
>             total = start
>             if yield_start:
>                 yield total
>             for element in it:
>                 total = func(total, element)
>                 yield total
>
> That approach would have the advantage of making the default value of
> "start" much easier to document (since it would just be zero, the same
> as it is for sum()), and only the length of the input iterable and
> "yield_start" would affect how many partial sums were produced.

As above, start=0 is senseless for `accumulate` (despite that it makes
sense for `sum`).  Raymond gave the obvious implementation in his