On 2018-04-13 08:44, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
So my position is:

- "as" is more Pythonic and looks nicer;

Yes, perhaps if typing annotations had not chosen the colon but used a whitespace delimiter instead, adding a few more colons to the source would not be an issue.

But in combination, it feels like there will be way too many colons in a potential future Python. One of the things I liked about it historically was its relative lack of punctuation and use of short words like in, and, not, as, etc.

As mentioned before, I liked := for assignment in Pascal, but presumably since we are keeping == for testing, there's not as strong of an argument for that spelling.

-Mike