On 04/18/18 17:33, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

On Apr 16, 2018, at 5:43 PM, Tim Peters <tim.pet...@gmail.com> wrote:

BTW, if _`Counter * scalar` is added, we should think more about
oddball cases.  While everyone knows what _they_ mean by "scalar",
Python doesn't.

I've started working on an implementation and several choices arise:

1) Reject scalar with a TypeError if scalar is a Counter
2) Reject scalar with a TypeError if scalar is a Mapping
3) Reject scalar with a TypeError if scalar is a Collection
4) Reject scalar with a TypeError if scalar is Sized (has a __len__ method).

Why is Iterable (__iter__) not on the list?

(Apologies if I missed this somewhere in the conversation.)

I lean toward rejecting all things Sized because _everyone_ knows that scalars
aren't sized ;-)

Raymond