On 11.05.2018 09:33, Greg Ewing wrote:
Gustavo Carneiro wrote:
IMHO, all these toy examples don't translate well to the real world because they tend to use very short variable names while in real world [good written code] tends to select longer more descriptive variable names.

I don't believe that's always true. It depends on the context.
Sometimes, using long variable names can make code *harder*
to read.

I don't think there's anything unrealistic about this
example:

   if m given m = pattern.match(the_string):
      nugget = m.group(2)

I gather we don't talk about interactive usage.

So, I grepped through part of our code-base. Like it or not, it's almost always called "match" there.

Like Gustavo, I also have the feeling that long-living, real-world code tends to have more descriptive names than all those toy examples/arguments.

Cheers,
Sven